I’ve been running for a long time. Not very fast (6 mph on a good day for maybe a half mile) and not very far (my longest so far has been a marathon) but I run. I’m pleased to say that I’ve inspired some to start running, some to keep running, and still others to take up running again.
But what is it that makes me run? What is it that gets me out on the road or on my treadmill? Why am I a runner?
In no particular order, here are 10 things I love about running. I love
- the endorphins
- that it feeds my inner planner (training plans, training paces, trips for races)
- that I can catch up with television shows on my treadmill
- that a good run leaves me feeling strong, powerful, and invincible
- that a bad run leaves me looking forward to the next run in hopes that it will be better
- the “me” time
- the sound of my footsteps on the pavement or my treadmill
- the meditative nature of my morning runs
- the stress-relieving nature of my evening runs
- that some days I run further than some people drive
This list is a good reminder of why I run but it also helps me appreciate the fact that I can run. If I could no longer run, I would miss all of these things. It makes me want to hop on my treadmill right now, even though I ran in a 10k this morning and it’s 2230 right now.
What do you love about running? What would you miss about running if you couldn’t run again?